Latest topics
» It's A New Day, Which Means A New Friend!
Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:20 pm by Kazai

» Peace talks or war planning? [private-Lux]
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm by Noah Atwood

» Reading is Nice(Alucard)
Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:13 pm by Magnus Mist

» 7 Divine Arts of the Seraph of Kindness
Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:31 pm by Alucard

» Luxs' Updates
Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 pm by Lux

» Lux, The White Wolf
Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:38 pm by Magnus Mist

» Kona [WIP]
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:48 pm by ForsakenM

» Search for the Dragon Gem [Mission] (Noah)
Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:44 pm by Noah Atwood

» Kenshin Balthier
Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:23 am by Kenshin

Most active topic starters
Alucard

Noah Atwood

Beleg

Magnus Mist

Kazai

Lux

ForsakenM

Kenshin

Top posting users this week

Old Friends (Alucard)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Old Friends (Alucard)

Post by Beleg on Wed May 24, 2017 8:20 pm

A pair of black leather riding boots struck the dirt with a crunch as a soft whinny came from the horse they had just departed. The beast was massive, a black stallion bred for war and finer than most would see in Tartius-Tor, unless it was stolen. A soft noise came from his rider's mouth, one meant to calm him as he was handed off to a stablehand, the only warning not to steal him being in the man's gaze, his sword belt, and his spurs. Spurs and a white belt were the mark of a knight, and the man's blue eyes were soft, but as unyielding as steel. The black-clad knight tipped the boy generously, regardless, and made his way into The Maid's Shade, a local tavern where he hoped to find room. Knights weren't often seen in Vandale, due to the dissolving of the Guild once it was found that they had been paid off by the Thieves' Guild, and had hired the Assassins' Guild more than once upon their own brothers. Thus, they were generally thought of to be just as corrupt as the rest of the country's capital, and walking around in public had gotten the traveler more than one dirty look and unwarranted threat.

The bartender looked at him with a slight frown, then shook his head to clear himself of any ill thoughts. If he was a paying customer, and minded his manners, what was there to worry about? Smiling, he pulled up one of the nicer drafts that he had for the man and waved off his attempt to pay, even going so far as to give him the room for free. After all, he had seen the man pay his stable boy five times more than what was necessary for a room, and the owner had a soft spot for the lad, so anyone who did right by him was okay in his book.

Sighing, Beleg took a swig of the ale, savoring the taste. Being in one of the nicer taverns in a port town, they were bound to have quality drinks and food, but finding someone who wasn't afraid to sell to people in positions of authority was rough. Sitting at the bar while he waited for the so-generously-offered food to arrive, he looked for places where he might hide a few coins for the barmaids and the plump, motherly cook to find later. Looking around and listening, the Knight-Commander of Ridbrad felt as if something was off. Was it magical energy flowing through the air? Was it someone's presence? Was he being watched? Either way, he'd have his answers soon, so he settled back down and took another swig.
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Old Friends (Alucard)

Post by Alucard on Wed May 24, 2017 8:38 pm

Alucard had just woken from a restful night’s sleep. Slipping out from the arms of the two maidens he had bedded, leaving them in a tangled mess of limbs, their modesty only protected by the violet bedsheets. Throwing on his usual black garb and black overcoat he decided to do what any sensible person does when they wake up at almost noon, he went to get a drink. After moving to Tartius-Tor, he had become a regular customer of the Maid’s Shade and had helped the owner, Belithor on many occasions when a few drunks would go at it. Either way, he made his way towards the tavern, his mouth already watering thinking of the specially brewed ale he had awaiting him.

It wasn’t until he passed by the stables did he begin to get an odd feeling. Not only was little Anphaz cooing over a rather large coin purse, but there was a very nice looking stallion tied in the stable. It was not the type of steed one found in Tartius-Tor, if you found a horse at all. It was clear that either some smuggler had made it big or someone important was in town. Shrugging off his musings Alucard decided he really didn’t care enough to ponder it any longer and headed into the tavern. It was then that he realized who the horse belonged to. There at the bar drinking some of Belithor’s Brew, was a knight clad in black armor. It took him a moment as it had been decades since they had last spoken, but Alucard recognized the man, no, his brother.

Walking over and taking a seat next to Beleg, Alucard would nod to Belithor, “Good morning Belithor, I’ll have some of the usual, make it a double!” Belithor would smile kindly, offering a wave to the man, “Of course, coming right up!” it was a special drink, that Alucard ordered. A normal ale brewed with the addition of sea salt and some goat blood that made a sweet and salty drink. It was created as a manner to repay Alucard from saving the life of the young stable hand from some of the drunkards that hang around the bar. While due to its ingredients, most people couldn’t handle it, Alucard absolutely loved the bright red ale. Once his drink was given he took a swig and turned to Beleg, “It has been a while Beleg! Somewhere in Elagrid if I recall correctly! But I had heard tales that you are now Commander at Hilnadreg Peak, what are you doing all the way down here?” It was good to see his old war buddy, though the war was long and gruesome, the bonds it forged were strong.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

View user profile http://legendsofskyshard.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Wed May 24, 2017 10:41 pm

Beleg's impossibly-blue eyes widened as he forced himself to swallow his mouthful of ale rapidly, making an almost-comical attempt to breath before laughing as his eyes met the red, slitted orbs of his brother by choice. The light leather he wore shifted under his travelling cloak, revealing that he still didn't wear much in the way of armor, as he hadn't found any smith skilled enough to work around what they'd dubbed his "feathery little problem" in their youth. As it stood, the vest he wore was light enough that his wings could just rip out of the back, and not get stuck as he'd had happen once or twice before. It was awkward, really. Smiling a full set of perfect white teeth, the Seraph greeted his polar opposite with a cheeky grin. "So, would you believe me if I said I was looking for some dastardly rogue named Alucard? I figured we might as well catch up on lost time for a bit. I've trained my knights to be the best of the best, and it's catching up to me, what with them taking on all of the more dangerous quests and missions. Can you believe people think I'm some sort of folk tale? The nerve!"

Belithor, the owner of the tavern, looked with wide eyes as he heard the two converse. Was this young man truly Sir Beleg Mahariel, Commander of the Knights' Guild of Ridbrad? If so, then he would have had to be over three centuries old! Even the lowliest of peasants in Vandale had heard of the greatest member of the greatest fighting force their continent has ever known. Although, the way that Alucard, the young man who helped him quite often taking care of ruffians was talking, they had known each other for quite some time, having met in Eladrid...Shaking his head, he grabbed the breakfast meant for the two men and passed it to them, watching the knight begin wolfing it down after a heartfelt and humble moment of thanks. Smiling slightly, he dedicated part of his mind to attempting to figure out exactly where the muscular warrior stored the half-pound of bacon he had already devoured, along with three eggs, four biscuits, a pint of gravy, and around half a large tankard of ale. Disturbing...
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Wed May 24, 2017 11:40 pm

Alucard would shake his head slightly, it seemed some things would never change. As his feathered friend scarfed down his meal, Alucard would chuckle as it seemed Belithor was beginning to put the pieces together on just who was in his bar. “It’s sad really, I hear parents telling their kids scary stories about me when they are putting them to bed to keep them in line! ‘You better be good or the Demon will come get you and carry you away!’ It’s laughable how we have faded into the ides of history. I have run into a similar issue though. None of the quests being offered around here are difficult enough and while breaking up fights and kicking drunkards around is fun, it lacks challenge. I remember when we were training under Lord Akatosh, those were true challenges! I heard that fire mages can’t even survive in active volcanos these days! It seems the world has gone soft while we go about our lives.” It was always interesting to think about how the world might change throughout centuries, it was something else entirely to be able to witness the changes real time.

Taking a final sip of his tenth ale, he would chuckle slightly. It seemed Belithor knew of his habits all too well. He could drink the man dry if his tab wasn’t more than enough for Belithor to run his shop and even keep very well stocked at home too. It was a daily occurance, Alucard would come in, drink around ten or twenty mugs of ale and then leave, dropping a generous tip into Belithor’s hands. It was when he stood that he would look at Beleg, who was no doubt just finishing his meal. “Where are you staying while in the city? I do not recommend any of the local inns, the guilds are always waiting in the shadows to steal what they can. I have room at my estate if you need a place to rest. Stocked with food and all the ale you can drink!” He said the last part about ale with a lot more enthusiasm than the rest. Though, it didn’t matter, everyone knew the Demon loved his alchohol.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Thu May 25, 2017 12:31 am

Beleg chuckled and raised his tankard to take another swig, finishing it off to wash down his breakfast. A stitch in his side began to form as Alucard reminded him of their years spent training under Lord Akatosh, the strongest of the dragons in Ridbrad. Finally, the Knight-Commander couldn't hold it in any longer and barked out in laughter, clutching his side while heaving. "To be fair, Ally, I'm not sure we would have survived in that volcano our first try if I hadn't hit that rock on the way down, and you landed on top of me! Do you remember the time we had to learn how to react to danger on instinct alone? He had us hunting werewolves in our skivvies barehanded!"

While normal people would find the thought of fighting off even a single such beast fully armed and armored frightening, the fact that the supposed twenty-something was nearly crying from laughter over such an ordeal meant that whatever training this Lord Akatosh had put them through had turned them into something more than human. It would have had to. A shudder ran up Belithor's spine as he thought of such a thing, and he quickly bid the two otherwise-pleasant men a good day and ran off to do stocks. He had just done so the other night, but it didn't hurt, did it?

Wiping a tear from his eye, Beleg finally sat up and listened to his war buddy's offer, nodding his head vigorously before deadpanning at the demon's excitement over alcohol. While he certainly enjoyed a good drink, he really didn't understand the near-obsession with getting hammered that the other man had. "I suppose I have no choice, do I? I'll go get my horse. Just...Please. Don't get so drunk this time I have to pull you out of the river. It was bad enough the first three times."

With that, he dropped several coins worth far more than the average Vandale-minted currency on the plate as a tip for the cook, and shot a couple at the pretty young barmaid on duty with a wink, a practiced flip of the wrist, and a small smile on his way out. Walking over to his horse, he looked over Indomitable's harness and saddle bags, ensuring nothing was missing while giving the young lad who was brushing him a warm smile. It was unfortunate that horses didn't live as long as he did, nor did either of his hounds, or even the cat he keeps around. He was lucky enough that his original horse's line was continued, and the cat was a recent addition to the family. What he considered his dogs, however, were more difficult to find, even in the northernmost mountains and forests of the continent. After all, pure white wolves are uncommon at best, and to have a pair that actually got along was a million to one shot. Shaking his head, he decided not to worry about it as he kneed his horse in the gut with only a slight amount of force, startling the stable boy as the horse exhaled sharply and he was able to tighten the saddle completely. Shrugging at the stablehand, he knew that the boy would learn eventually, if he hadn't already, that each horse had their quirks, and warhorses had quite a few more than normal. One of Indomitable's favorite tricks was to hold his breath while you tried to tighten the saddle, then release it later to make himself more comfortable. The whinny that sounded almost exactly like a laugh when the saddle slid over and dropped Beleg on the ground, however, made it abundantly clear that it was on purpose. The day he realized his horse was an asshole was a sad day indeed...
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm

As the two would begin to make their way down the road, a group of about five men got in front of them. They carried various weapons, swords, daggers, axes, and brandished them menacingly. “We will be taking that pretty horse of yours, and the rest of your valuables. Just hand them over calmly if you value your lives. There are five of us and two of you, even if you do carry swords.” Alucard let out an annoyed sigh and glanced at Beleg with a look saying he would handle it. Vanishing from his position faster than the other man would realize, but Beleg of course could keep up with, Alucard dispatched the other four men by snapping their necks so hard their heads faced backwards. He would really need to practice holding in his strength. Reappearing back in his position, all of the movement happening so fast, that the man probably didn’t even notice him move. Turning to Beleg he would laugh, “Is it just me or are all thieves idiots? I only count one moron here!” It was clear that the man was confused as he glanced to his now deceased comrades. His eyes became wide with horror as he saw their mangled bodies.

As the man turned and began to run away Alucard would nudge Beleg, “He’s all yours.” It was only customary to leave the best for one’s guests, even if the best probably couldn’t match up against the basic trainee at the Knight’s Guild. Once the man had been dispatched, Alucard would step over the dead bodies and continue to lead Beleg to his estate. It only took a few minutes and after tying his unusually stubborn horse at the stables, the two would enter the house. It was surprisingly clean considering the owner was drinking most of the time he spent here, but due to his unnatural metabolism it was impossible for Alucard to actually get drunk, or even feel the slightest buzz. It was tragic really.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Thu May 25, 2017 10:19 pm

Beleg smirked and swung off his horse as the leader of the bandits began panicking and ran. Alucard's speed was impressive, but it also happened to spark a bit of an old rivalry between the adoptive brothers. Balancing on the balls of his feet, the knight launched himself forward like a blast from a cannon, proving why he was considered the most skilled warrior in the Five Kingdoms as he caught up to the man faster than one could blink and shot out a leg to trip him. As the bandit started shuffling away backwards, gibbering in fear, Beleg walked over calmly, looming over him like a black-clad harbinger of death before leaning forward until their faces were only around six to eight inches apart. "Boo."

When the bandit fainted from sheer fright, the seraph laughed and toed aside a few bits of cloth, including the man's cloak. Humming slightly, he knelt down and ripped something from the man's belt before returning to his horse. Climbing back on, they continued their way to Alucard's estate, making small talk as he made sure Indomitable was tied off in the stables. Walking inside, Beleg allowed a cursory glance before his blue orbs latched back onto his brother's red ones. Walking over to a table in a fairly large lounge area, he dropped a favor onto it, emblazoned with the mark of the King of Vandale and the City Guard. "So, I didn't know Romalus was feeling feisty enough to sponsor the local Thieves' Guild, or send guards in disguise to hassle traveling knights. I might have to pay him a visit. After all, it's been a while since the Knights' Guild was disbanded, and it wouldn't be uncommon for a Knight-Commander to make an appearance in the courts of his host. What do you think?"
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Alucard would chuckle at his brother’s remark, “Ah, leave the old coot be. He is corrupt beyond belief true, but he is a wily bastard. If you seek a council with him and end up killing him, he has contingencies set up that will cause a collapse of the Kingdom and possibly lead to war. He has the Thieves and Assassins in his pocket, and they are at their strongest in this Kingdom. Their influence in the other kingdoms can lead to uprisings. Besides, those men weren’t much of a threat and if he knew who exactly he sent them after he probably wouldn’t have even bothered. I’ll bet someone told him, ‘a rich noblemen just rode into town on a very expensive horse.’ And he said he wanted it.” Alucard had dealt with the miserly king many times, in the past and knew that his eyes were much too large for his age.

Deciding to change the subject slightly, Alucard would probe into Belegs reasoning for showing up so unexpectedly. “So, surely the great “Dragon of the North” didn’t ride all the way down here just to see me. True it has been a while, but I sense another motive.” He was curious. It was a LONG way from Hilnadreg Peak to Tartius-Tor, and the trek wasn’t an immensely pleasant one. There had to be some reason for making such a trip, leaving his guild without its leader and a kingdom without a Knight-Commander. Then another thought struck him and he gained a devious look on his face, “Does Ruzzoll know you came here? You didn’t leave without informing the Jolly Dwarf did you?” It was all he could do to refrain from laughing, remembering how he was secretly the one that started that nickname in the kingdom of Ridbrad that soon spread in hushed whispers and heavily suppressed chuckles throughout Skyshard.

Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Thu May 25, 2017 11:12 pm

Beleg shook his head and replied to Alucard's subtle assumption that he would kill the King of Vandale. "No no, it's proper procedure, especially considering that I'm stronger than his entire military at the moment, considering he doesn't have a single knight under his command, and I'm from a separate Kingdom and Alliance altogether. I should go visit. It isn't like I'm going to kill him. That'd be more trouble than it's worth. We'll go in a couple of hours, around midday."

Making up his mind, he almost missed the second question Alucard asked him, tagged with the third. It was enough that his face went red trying not to laugh, a useless endeavor that ended with him clutching his sides and collapsing onto a couch nearby. Regaining his breath, he managed to start talking in his normal bass once more, soft but ringing with power. "Yes, I let Ruzzoll know I was leaving. Apparently he didn't want his drinking buddy to go, but he let me so long as I brought him back some trade agreements from the greedy old bastard in charge here. Getting to stretch my legs and see you was really just the icing on the cake, here."

While speaking of Ruzzoll, Beleg absentmindedly fingered his sword. Alucard knew he had gone through quite a few in his days, shattering them and moving on, but this one seemed different. They certainly hadn't seen each other since the end of the wars, and the formations of the Alliances. From the stories one heard, however, he had had the same blade for a while now, almost fifty years-which, to be honest, was a spectacular amount of time considering Beleg's brute strength. Vigilance, they called it, a sword forged in the legendary "Dragon's Maw" and thus infused with the might of one of the legendary beasts themselves. They had both gotten a history lesson from Lord Akatosh about that forge, and while the metals used in the process weren't at all related to dragons, the forge itself was. It was the symbol of an ancient pact between the dragons of Ridbrad and the dwarves, where the forge at the heart of the mountain was infused with dragon fire and magic to imbue the ore with their power, then quenched in an underground spring directly over a magical leyline. They were likely the only two non-dwarves that knew the truth, and for Beleg to carry a weapon forged by the priest-like smiths that work that particular forge means that he was held in high esteem by the Dwarven Crown, for whatever reason. Either way, it was a beautiful sword, and it must have been of exceptional quality. After all, Beleg just white-knuckled the grip without it crumbling before he relaxed. Kudos!
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 am

Alucard would chuckle lightly along with his companion as they lounged about. They would continue to make small talk and reminisce until it was just after noon. Alucard would lead Beleg out of the estate and into the bustling city of Tartius-tor. They avoided most of the children running about “Begging” and the market district all together. Once they arrived at the palace to go in and speak with the King is when they ran into the first bit of resistance. The woman who seemed to be in charge of the appointments of the king said he was far too busy to see the men, for any reason. Until Alucard informed her that they were simply there to deliver his weekly shipment of narcotics. It was rather sad that the King had such a weak spot for drugs and anything he could make a profit from, but that was his fatal flaw.

Once they entered the room, it became clear that they were not who they had said they were. The old king ordered the “knights” he had guarding him to seize the intruders, but a brief flash from Alucard’s unbridled spiritual pressure froze them in their tracks. He would allow Beleg to explain their presence to the angry and impatient king while he took the time to laugh at how quickly the guards returned to their previous posts.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Sun May 28, 2017 9:07 pm

Beleg raised an eyebrow at the pitiful display. The men clearly weren't knights, despite the way that the King of Vandale had referred to them. They had no spurs, and their belts were a typical black or brown, meaning that even Romalus couldn't get around the edicts of the other Knights' Guilds. His brother's antics were typical, and the young lady at the door could have been persuaded if he had even been given a chance to pull off his cloak, the hood of which was flipped up to protect against unwanted attention. Frowning, his soft bass would echo across the throne room, sending shivers down the spines of the guards as his sword, and the pure white of his belt, were revealed as he pulled off his cloak, the marks of a true knight. "Romalus, you've always been a tad touched, but a King? Really? Your knighthood was revoked, and the entirety of Vandale's Knights' Guild was disbanded because of your hubris. Now you dare to make an attempt on the life of a representative of another Kingdom? You should give me a very good reason to not prove once and for all why I am considered the greatest swordsman to have ever lived."

Beleg's piercing blue eyes would pin Romalus to the seat, his visage unchanged since the days of the man's youth, when he had been but a mere squire tending to the needs of his knight during a multi-Kingdom tournament in Elagrid, where all five of the Knight-Commanders had made an appearance in a show of unity and peace. The man's force of presence, not even the power of his magical abilities, was enough to send most people to the hills on the rare occasion that the Seraph got serious, and at the moment the mere disapproving cast of his face would feel like a razor-edged knife being held to the King's throat. This was Sir Beleg Mahariel, Sir Grimsever, the Angel of Death, and there would be hell to pay for crossing him.
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Mon May 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Alucard would simply stand and watch the interaction unfolding ahead of him.

Romalus stiffened slightly under the gaze of the man known by many names but the one he recognized as the Dragon of the North. It had been years since he had last seen the man, yet he seemed untouched by the decades. The stiffness only lasted for a moment before the elderly man steeled his resolve. He couldn’t afford to look weak in front of his subjects. He would grunt in an annoyed manner, “Ah, I hadn’t realized that you had come to Vandale, Sir Grimsever. I thought there was simply a noble travelling into my kingdom and was simply sending my men to collect the toll. I had no idea that they would attack you, had I known you were coming I most certainly would have sent an entourage to welcome you into my esteemed city. And while true you hold a position of authority in Ridbrad, I advise you to watch your tongue as you are in Vandale now and I am its king. The Knight’s Guild of Vandale is not disbanded it merely lacks a Knight whom I feel can hold the position of Commander. My ascension to the throne was so sudden that I had no time to select a Knight to groom for the position.” It took all of his courage and stubborn pride to maintain his normal personality in the face of two of the world’s strongest swordsmen. He recognized the man travelling with Beleg as having been at the tournament as well, and this man hadn’t changed in appearance either. In the Final round of the tournament, the man standing behind Beleg had come forth to challenge the champion. Their battle lasted for hours and they came off as even matched. It was only in the final moments of the battle that Sir Grimsever had attained the upperhand and disarmed the man, ending in victory for Beleg. Either way, Romalus knew it was best not to upset the men in front of him, but he also knew that he had his preparations set in the case one of them killed him.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Mon May 29, 2017 9:18 pm

Beleg openly scoffed at the audacity of the other man. Dropping his cloak completely to the floor, he crossed his arms and began his rebuke. "You fool. You are not my King, and any action against me could start a war that Vandale is guaranteed to lose. These 'Knights' of yours haven't been trained in the slightest, and Vandale has been recognized by the Church and by the other Knights' Guild as unworthy of the Code of Chivalry because of your own actions. Do not attempt to sugarcoat my words. Just by looking at your men one could see that they are completely unable to hold a sword properly, and haven't ever cut their teeth in a true battle."

Taking several steps forward, Beleg's eyes would glow in the partial light of the throne room. Taking another breath to calm himself, the Knight-Commander of Ridbrad would continue to speak, every word echoing through the room. "I came here to negotiate trade agreements between Ridbrad and Vandale with all the authority of Ruzzoll to make the final decisions. If you wish, I could simply leave and spare myself the trouble. I'm sure your economy would be able to survive after losing all trade in and out of Ridbrad. After all, you could always open your coffers and support it like any good king would, right?"

Oh, Beleg knew exactly what would happen if he slew Romalus. The old man was cruel, cunning, and underhanded, likely having paid off the Thieves' Guild and the Assassins' Guild to start civil war in other Kingdoms upon his death. Of course, two could play at that game. If he walked out now, Vandale's economy would completely go under, unable to even mint their own money without the gold supply from mines in Ridbrad. Once that happened, Romalus would be forced to either open up his own coffers to suspend Vandale's imminent demise for another year or so, or be faced with civil war himself. It was cruel to the people of a once-proud country, but living under him was far more so.
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 pm

Romalus actually barked out a laugh at what the man had said. It seemed that he thought very little of the kingdom of Vandale. While it was true, a trade agreement with Ridbrad would be beneficial to the kingdom, it wasn’t nearly as necessary as the man here made it out to be. “I never said I would take action against you. I merely demand that you give me the respect that accompanies the title of King. I would have thought someone who upholds the codes of chivalry would know to respect authority, whether you agree with it or not. And in case you have forgotten, Ruzzoll saw fit to form an alliance with those filthy Elves in Ganenmarsh. We in Vandale have seen no help from Ridbrad since before the alliances. Our mine in Ciuslind Rim provides us with plenty of ore and gold, and if that wasn’t enough we boast the highest output of fish in Skyshard. We are hardly dependent on trade we haven’t received in over two centuries. But, if you do care to negotiate trade, I will hear your offer. Just remember to watch your tone. You say I am not your king, this is true. But while here, you represent all of Ridbrad. And so far your behavior has left much to be desired.” It was fairly easy to upset the man who is king of Vandale. Beleg had done so by underestimating the power and resolve of those who call vandal their home.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Mon May 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Beleg frowned. He had forgotten about the mine in Ciuslind Rim, but of course the ores that came from the town were of inferior quality to the gold and iron in Ridbrad. It was Ruzzoll's idea to send him, instead of a diplomat or anyone else with patience for this sort of thing. Gritting his teeth at the arrogance displayed by the self-styled king, and the fact that he was being talked down to, Beleg's tunic began to flex and tear in the rear as a large pair of wings as black as night burst forth, stretching to their full span before settling lazily behind the Seraph's back. Most people make the misconception that Seraphs have pure white wings, akin to a dove, but this isn't true. The truth is that it depends on which Seraph they are, as told by the major religion practiced in all five Kingdoms. The fact that Beleg was one explained his apparent longevity, but it also explained that he was beyond the bounds of mortal men, subject only to the whims of someone that no King could even hear. "Romalus, again I call you a fool. My words have not been for Ridbrad, and my comment merely in passing. I represent no one but myself at the moment. Tell me, what happened to King Aelthonius? A dagger in the back? Poison in his wine? A regrettable and unfortunate accident while riding? What happened to his son, Romalus? After all, you were nothing but a street rat that Sir Bedfor saw potential in. He was one of the first Knights of Vandale killed by the Assassins' Guild. Their services for the deed cost three hundred gold pieces, while his simple pine box cost three. Did you even go to his funeral, or were you too busy paying off the men you hired to murder him in cold blood?"

Beleg himself had been part of the investigation into the murder of Sir Bedfor and several other senior knights, and they had found that the killers were paid for using gold won in a local tourney by the former Sir Romalus. Of course, the tracks were covered up immediately and most of the others that dared to investigate were slain themselves, but the damage was done. Several years later, the Knights' Guild of Vandale was forced to be disbanded out of dishonor, and Romalus' knighthood was stripped from him. The King of Vandale and his entire family were found dead soon after, and a note supposedly naming Romalus as his replacement in the case of his having no heirs was found. The entire case stank of foul play, but no one investigated. After all, it would have caused an international scandal for the other Kingdoms to interfere in Vandale's affairs. Beleg was playing a tricky game, but his status as a Seraph was something that couldn't be denied, and the raven's wings on his back identified him as the Seraph of Justice. He wasn't patient, but he didn't jump to conclusions. He wasn't cruel, but he had no mercy for the guilty. He wasn't a diplomat or a messenger, he was a warrior, and he didn't do well with subterfuge such as this.
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Tue May 30, 2017 3:44 pm

Romalus' frown deepened. It was true, he was not the most righteous king. He had his hands in some corrupt pockets, but it was for the protection of the kingdom. And for someone to believe that he killed his way to power? Frankly it was angering him. He would speak in a rough bass, “Sir Bedfor was like a father to me. He taught me the ways of Knighthood and raised me as if his own son.” Silent tars began to fall but his voice held strong, “the death of Lord Aelthonius was the hardest time in my life, harder even than the training his son put me through. I was slated to speak at his funeral but I was unable to speak for days due to not only the shock but pure grief. It is true, I have paid off both the assassins and thieves guilds of Vandale but that was due to my own cowardice. I am not half the king that my predecessor was and I a not a quarter of the king his son would have been… but I have done my best and made any sacrifice I can so that the kingdom they left behind would continue to thrive. Now, if you care to make a trade agreement, my offer is forty large shipments of fish a month. What do you offer in return?” it had been years since he had to deal with the memories of the murder of the kings. He had paid the assassins guild a very hefty price to have them assassinate the man who had ordered them to kill the king and his family, but the deed was already done.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Beleg on Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

Beleg's bright blue eyes settled down to a dull glow and his wings returned to his back accompanied by the sound of ruffling feathers. Cracking a bit of a grin, he began to scratch the back of his head. He could tell instinctively that Romalus was telling the truth. Perhaps the man was becoming wiser in his old age..."I apologize for the unpleasantness, but they were questions that I needed answered. I can tell you're being sincere. In return for forty shipments of fish, we will send half a ton of raw iron from the mines in Saridel, and one ton of hardwood. Is this agreeable?"
Beleg
Knight-Commander
Knight-Commander

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alucard on Tue May 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Romalus nodded, “This is agreeable. When you return to Ruzzoll, tell him I accept and he can expect his first shipment within the week. Now, if you would excuse me, my next appointment has arrived.” He said the last part with a slightly dreaded expression, he hated to deal with the whiney nobles that lived within the palace, they were never satisfied.

Alucard would exit the room and wait for Beleg to follow before they were outside of the Palace. Turning to his brother, “I suppose this is where we part ways. I suppose you will be headed to Ridbrad and I will be heading to Ganenmarsh to see about the new archmage there. It is said that he is supposedly the youngest Archmage that has ever held position. From there, I will be travelling to Esblem to pay my respects to my parents on the eve of their deaths. Perhaps I’ll even drop in on the great great grand kids, not that they’d know it!” he would laugh at his own joke before waiting for a response from Beleg.
Alucard
Wanderer
Wanderer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top